Sunday, December 31, 2006

Language Barrier

Alone at last.

My roommate's parents and sister flew in from Puebla, Mexico for the 21st-29th. While it was nice to have someone around from Christmas, it was also frustrating. They usually spoke English when addressing me, but anything else was mostly in Spanish. I took Spanish back in high school, but was never any good with it. I might catch one word in ten--enough to catch the general idea of the conversation, but that's it.

While they were here, they did do one large piece of good: the house is mostly packed. Nacho's family turned his life into shredded paper and cardboard boxes. I'm progressing more slowly, but that's OK since they used all the boxes, and I've got until the end of the week to pack. We're not really moving until Saturday, so I've got plenty of time.

For the move, things have hit some bumps. The apartment company doesn't like that Nacho's having house payment problems, so they and he are wrestling over whether he can move in now, or after the house is sold. Either way, I should be able to sign the lease on Tuesday.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hope everything turns out golden. I understand leasing/renting headaches. Bleah.